Home page

Sunday 11 September 2011

Mummy's Birthday Cake!

When it was time for me to make a cake for my mums birthday, I was not able to decide what to make.

I couldn't decide on the theme or the colours that my mum would love to see. I happened to be browsing on a website and saw some beautiful flower cakes. I then decided that flowers would be great to try and arrange for my mum. I though back on the different flowers that I know that she likes and then remembered one flower in particular.

My grandads favourite flower was the sunflower and I thought that this would be a lovely way to decorate the cake.

I entered the details on google and it showed lovely sunflower cakes which helped me come up with a design, now all I had to do was figure out the best materials to use.

I contacted a shop in Westborne who was able advise me that petal paste was the best thing to use to create the flowers. I managed to also find sunflower cutters to make it a little easier on me. The cakes was going to consist of 2 layers with vanilla sponge and strawberry jam.

I took a day off work to create this cake as I knew it was going to take a long time. I started work at 9am and think I finished at 5pm. Unfortunately this was due to the lower cake not rising enough so i started that part again.

After a lot stress and hard work I finally finished and this is what I created.


And the flowers came out great...........


I think I need a little more practice but was really please with my second attempt at my 2 tier cake.

Mummy, I hope you enjoyed it xxx

1 comment: