Home page

Wednesday 28 September 2011

Hummingbird Red Velvet Cupcake

I recently visited London on a weekend trip with my friend and decided to visit the local cupcake bakery's to see how the professionals made their cakes. I will be writing blogs on the cakes I have tried and let you know what I though of them.

Here is the first.....................

The most famous bakery that I wanted to visit was the Hummingbird bakery. I heard that they had recently opened a store at Spitalfields and was going to be nearby so I decided to try and find it. To be honest I did not expect it to be away from the main high street and found it quite difficult to find. In the end I found it with the help of my friend Emma.




The front of the building looked amazing. Bright and colourful that really attracted you in. When I entered the store the staff were very friendly and informative about the cakes so it was easy to know what each of them were.


There was lots to choose from and they all were beautifully decorated. I decided that I wanted to try the Red Velvet Cupcake. I had seen so many pictures of this type of cake and always wanted to know what the big attraction was having never tasted it for myself. Well I must say it was well worth the wait.....



The vanilla sponge was moist and flavourful, with a rich red colour that was bright throughout the whole cupcake. The Cream Cheese frosting was to die for. Creamy and light but not greasy. Many cakes I have tried gave a sickly feeling from their icing but I could have eaten much more. It wasn't too sweet but still left you feeling like you had eaten a dessert. The decoration was simple but effective, a deep red crumble that complimented the colour of the sponge beautifully.

The prices of their cupcakes was very reasonable. Ranging from £2 to over £3 to take away, the price was in the middle of the range I had seen over this weekend. For the quality of the cake, I believe this was worth every penny.




The Hummingbird bakery is quickly growing fast withing the cupcake world and I believe it is one of the most popular. Having now tasted their cakes I can see why. An amazing cupcake that left you wanted to return to the store again and again.


No comments:

Post a Comment